1. My lifetime warranty covers the following: Failure of belt, track changing functions, track bleedover on MOST tapes (not just a few, as some are out of alignment), incorrect speed NOT caused by use of tapes without new foil splices, poor sound quality NOT caused by worn pressure pads on tape cartridges (which can also cause track bleedover) and loss of sound on one or both sides NOT caused by incorrect hookup of power or speakers.
2. Basic operation of the ENTIRE machine is guaranteed for one year, as with a brand new machine.
3. My lifetime warranty DOES NOT cover: Physical abuse, accidents, failure of output transistors (only caused by incorrect hookup or excessive volume), failure of tape heads (unless replaced during repairs), failure of motor unless serviced during repairs, or any damage caused by faulty tapes. It is assumed that all tapes used in your repaired machine have new pressure pads and foil splices. Additionally, lifetime warranty does not cover noisy controls (which are cleaned during servicing and MUST be kept in use to keep them clean), or indicator lamps unless replaced during repairs (defective lamps are replaced).
4. I reserve the right to repair your machine again before issuing a refund. If failure occurs within the first year, I will pay shipping both ways. If failure occurs after the first year, the customer pays to ship the unit to me, and I will pay to ship it back to you. If no actual failure is found, customer pays ALL shipping expenses, and a video of your functioning machine will be kept on file. My average warranty return rate is LESS THAN ONCE EVERY TWO YEARS.
5. My flat rates include RETURN SHIPPING ONLY - I do not pay the shipping TO my shop, except in the case of a warranty repair as stated above.
6. If I am not able to repair your machine due to parts availability, there is no "bench charge" - but the customer must pay the shipping to return the defective unit.
7. In some cases, it requires much time and research to repair a unit, which will likely extend the turnaround time. My turnaround time is NOT A GUARANTEE, but an accurate estimate based on experience with hundreds of units.
8. When your repaired machine comes back and you are satisfied, I will very much appreciate a positive post in one of the many audio or classic car forums. If you are not satisfied, PLEASE contact me first before posting negative comments on the Internet. I've been running my Internet-based business for about 6 years, and fully intend to deliver outstanding service - including "service after the service".
9. In very few cases, a unit will be in my shop much longer than the advertised turn time, while I perform the needed research to obtain parts, schematics, etc. I have full service information for almost any 8 track, home 8 track combo system, or automotive 8 track-only or radio/8 track unit. However, many model numbers have been obliterated, scratched or simply flaked off, which may greatly extend the turn time, as I will need to look through my manuals, hoping to recognize your unit by viewing photographs of the front panel, circuit boards, etc. Considering my thousands of service manuals, this takes considerable time. If your unit is the original factory install, the make and model of your car will often suffice - but not always.
10. Customers are encouraged to call me any time. I don't keep regular "business hours", but I do work a day job in electronics, and may not be able to answer during weekdays. My phone is open 24-7-365 (366 during leap year!)
11. Bear in mind that your unit is at least 30 years old, and can contain harmful chemicals such as the shellac used to cover transformers, acids used in capacitors, poisons such as arsenic used to give transistors their semiconductor properties, etc. It is impossible to foresee many future dangers if your unit should overheat, explode a part and produce harmful fumes, or catch on fire. I spent 4 years as a top level Avionics Technician at a licensed FAA repair station, working under extremely strict FAA regulations, ISO 9001 standards, as well as those demanded by the Aerospace industry. I do not perform any work that can result in potential dangers; however, by hiring Barry's 8 Track Repair (aka The 8 Track Repair Doctor), you must agree to never hold Barry Fone, Barry's 8 Track Repair or the 8 Track Repair Doctor responsible for any damage, injury or death resulting from the use of your repaired machine. In short, NEVER LEAVE YOUR MACHINE UNATTENDED WHILE OPERATING!
Just as an FYI, such a situation has never happened in connection with my services.
12. My turn times can change depending on workload and other factors. By sending your unit to me for repair, you are agreeing that currently advertised turn times are acceptable. In the rare case that your unit is taking longer than expected, or if at any time you prefer your unit return unrepaired with a refund, ALL REFUND REQUESTS CAN TAKE UP TO 4 WEEKS TO PROCESS.
13. Though I reserve the right to change my prices and policies at any time and without notice, THE PRICES AND POLICIES THAT WERE IN EFFECT WHEN YOU HIRED ME REMAIN IN EFFECT DURING THE ENTIRE COURSE OF YOUR REPAIR JOB. This usually is a good thing for the customer, as most prices tend to go up over time. It is assumed that you will send in your unit within two weeks based on currently advertised rates and policies.
14. After you send in 2 successful (paying) jobs, you have a 20% DISCOUNT FOR LIFE. Discounts apply ONLY to jobs at $150 or more. Though I reserve the right to discontinue any discounts at any time, they will ALWAYS APPLY TO CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE BEEN PROMISED SUCH DISCOUNTS.
15. It is the CUSTOMER'S responsibility to keep their machines and tapes clean and free of grease buildup and residue from the graphite used in 8 track tapes. This involves a safe procedure that is performed from the outside. Visit my customer maintenance page